SEER and AFUE Ratings: Why are They Important for Your AC and Heater

When purchasing a new air conditioner or heater, SEER and AFUE ratings are essential considerations. Getting the most out of your HVAC system means striking a balance between budget and efficiency. Read on to learn more about SEER and AFUE ratings and how to pick the best air conditioner or heater for your Knoxville, TN, home.

Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER)

The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio rating measures how efficiently an air conditioner or a heat pump cools a space. To calculate it, divide the cooling output for a regular cooling season by the total electric energy input during the same period.

A higher SEER rating means better cooling efficiency. But that doesn’t mean you should opt for the air conditioner with the highest SEER rating. The minimum standard SEER rating for a new air conditioner is 13. ENERGY STAR-qualified air conditioners must have a SEER rating of at least 14.5. Many factors determine how efficiently your air conditioner operates, including the size of your home and its current ductwork.

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE)

The Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating measures how efficiently a gas furnace coverts fuel to energy. If a furnace has an 85 percent AFUE rating, it can turn 85 percent of the energy it consumes into heat. It uses the other 15 percent during the heating process. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the furnace.

The minimum standard AFUE rating for new furnaces is 78 percent. But many of today’s high-efficiency furnaces have a rating between 90 and 97 percent. On the other hand, heat pumps have Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) ratings. A high HSPF rating for a heat pump is 10. Heat pumps are more efficient than furnaces.

Seek Professional Help for Your HVAC Installation

Do you need a new air conditioner or heater installed? Contact Pol’s Heating and Cooling, LLC for expert help. We provide a lifetime workmanship warranty with every new HVAC installation we complete, and we treat our customers like family.

Image provided by Thinkstock

You May Also Like

Confused About Heat Pump Freezing Up
May 19, 2024

Why Does My Heat Pump Keep Freezing Up in Knoxville, TN?

Heat pumps usually freeze up when the system’s components stop functioning properly. Often, you’ll need a replacement part or repair services to… Continue Reading Why Does My Heat Pump Keep Freezing Up in Knoxville, TN?

Read More…

Best Choice AC Replacement
April 27, 2024

Tips When Shopping for an AC Replacement in Knoxville, TN

Are you a homeowner in Knoxville, TN, gearing up for a scorching summer? With temperatures climbing, ensuring your air conditioning system is… Continue Reading Tips When Shopping for an AC Replacement in Knoxville, TN

Read More…

Need Duct Cleaning To Eliminate Dust Mites
March 27, 2024

Spring is a Great Time to Schedule Duct Cleaning Services

Springtime brings fresh beginnings and a renewed focus on home maintenance tasks. Among these, scheduling duct cleaning services stands out as an… Continue Reading Spring is a Great Time to Schedule Duct Cleaning Services

Read More…

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Grayscale
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links
Reset
Close